Topol

Topol....need I say more? I just got home at 11:30 pm. Tonight was kid's night at the Orpheum and I took Elise to see Topol's farewell tour in Fiddler on the Roof. When he came out on stage everyone went crazy....especially me. It's a really good thing I was not sitting up front or I might have made a fool of myself. When he began to speak in that unmistakable voice we were all mesmerized. He had lost weight in the past thirty years. Maybe his face was a little older. But that voice!! Even beyond his voice was the acting. His facial expressions, his comic genius was extraordinary. Was part of it ad-libbed? Who knows? It might be the same every night but it looked fresh, like it was just happening. When he accidentally put his hand in the milk, maybe he didn't mean to or maybe he does it in each performance. You really couldn't tell. When he laughed to himself maybe it was part of the performance or maybe he just cracks himself up. I loved it, each and every minute of it and I would go see it again and again. I had to refrain from screaming "I love you, Topol" at the top of my lungs during the quiet part at the end. And by I love you I don't mean like girl/boy love. I mean like hero love.

There will never be another like him. I thank GOD that I got to see him on this last tour. I wish I could put into words (and send them to him) of how great he is. Thank you Lord! And thank you, Julie for the ride and the burger!

1 comment: